We recognize that unforeseen hardships can happen to anyone at any time. To assist our customers who are having difficulties paying their bills, we offer a number of programs and services to help defer payments due, reduce required payments and provide payment assistance.
The quickest and easiest way to avoid credit action on a past due bill is to set up payment arrangements. Duke Energy’s customer service specialists are available to discuss a customer’s situation and can set up a deferred payment agreement that meets the customer’s specific needs.
- Residential Customer Service Specialists are available Monday – Friday 7 a.m. to 9 p.m. EST in the following locations:
- Duke Energy call center available Monday – Friday 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.: 800.544.6900
Customers who have more than 12-months’ of usage history at their current resident may qualify for one of our budget bill plans:
- These programs allows customers to average their bills for the last 12 months and then pay that average amount every month for a year.
- The 12th month is a true up bill, so if that bill is higher than the average being paid, the customers must pay the difference. If it’s lower, Duke Energy provides a refund.
- This is a great program for customers who are unable to pay a large bill now, but can afford to pay the average amount.
- Duke Energy provides information so customers can be engaged and manage their energy usage. Energy and money saving tips are shared in customer newsletters and posted on our website, including interactive tools https://www.duke-energy.com/home/savings/lower-my-bill-toolkit and videos https://illumination.duke-energy.com/articles/5-ways-to-save-energy-for-under-50.