Like most companies, Federal Employees hired through an external source will be required to serve a probationary period. Probationary period for all “new hires” is one year (365 days). During that period, the Union recommends that you do your best to be an above average employee. Stay under the radar as they say. While our Union does great things for all federal employees, we like to stress the importance of the term because we are limited in our ability to help Probationary employees. The National Agreement Article 37 explains the limitations the Union has and states in section 3 “The Union may represent probationary employees in connection with any matter consistent with law or regulation and this Agreement, e.g.,
- The denial of leave, including the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA).
- A request for an Alternate Work Schedule (AWS).
- An investigation conducted by the Treasury Inspector General for Tax Administration (TIGTA).
- An improper reassignment or error in the merit promotion process.
- A negative recordation used in a performance appraisal.
- A dispute over a performance appraisal or rating of record; and
- Employment related claims that may be raised to outside Government agencies.
We want you to be mindful of this as a New Hire. Please do not think you have to sit on things like AWOL, a denial for AWS, or a low rated appraisal because you are in your Probationary Period. You are not alone. Reach out to a chapter steward if you need anything, or have any questions. We’d be happy to get you the information or provide direction, and help in any way we can. We are all in this together!
Steps for Opening a Ticket for an EEO Claim in OS Get Services
1. From our intranet, go to OS get services
2. Go to order from catalog products and services
3. Select business and department services
4. Select EDI diversity and inclusion division services
5. Select analytics support
6. Enter your info and your manager’s name
7. On the left-hand side of the screen, select “EDI data request intake form”, fill it out and save it to your desktop or i drive
8. Go back to OS get services site after saving form
9. Select add to cart
10. On right hand side of the next screen, select view cart/checkout
11. Select attachment at top of the screen and add your completed EDI form
12. Go to bottom of screen and click checkout
13. Submit and it’ll give you a ticket number
14. Someone will contact you regarding your ticket via email .