General Eligibility for VERA To be eligible to retire under VERA, an employee must:
- Meet the VERA minimum age and service requirements (i.e., the employee has completed at least 20 years of creditable service and is at least age 50, or has completed at least 25 years of creditable service regardless of age); • The minimum age and service requirements are set by statute in 5 U.S.C. 8336(d)(2) for CSRS employees, and in 5 U.S.C. 8414(b)(1) for FERS employees. OPM has no authority to waive either the minimum age or service requirement for VERA eligibility.
- Have been continuously employed by the agency for at least 31 days before the date that the agency initially requested OPM approval of VERA;
- Hold a position that is not a time-limited appointment;
- Have not received a final removal decision based upon misconduct, or unacceptable performance;
- Hold a position covered by the agency’s VERA; and (6) Retire under the VERA option during the agency’s VERA window.
Click here for the VERA guide